I just got back from Turkey a couple of weeks ago and people are already asking me where I’m going to next. It’s a hard question for me to answer since I’m happy going anywhere. I usually answer the question with a blank expression on my face, shrug of the shoulders, or a grunt…sometimes all three together.
I find the more I travel, the more comfortable I am with being outside my comfort zone. [However, in spite of the fact that I used to use them all the time in Japan when I was a kid, I’m not crazy about going to a country where I have to exclusively use squat toilets.] I’m also a lot more concerned about where I can take some breathtaking/amazing/interesting/texture-filled photos. But most importantly, I want to go where can I get some really good grub.
In no particular order, these are the places I’d like to visit soon:
- Japan: I promised my cousins I’d be back in 2012. Well, actually I said 2011, but time got away from me. I don’t really consider this a vacation since it’s visiting family but since I’ve got to take a plane there, I thought I’d add this to my list of “vacation destinations”.
- St Petersburg, Russia: I’ve heard from a few friends that St Petersburg is a beautiful city and needs to be visited. I wouldn’t mind downing a few vodkas while I’m there, either.
- Ireland: All right, I’m not going to lie. Guinness. I love Guinness. I also like to knit and there’s some amazing yarn out there.
- Bhutan: I like the fact that it’s not a typical vacation destination. I’m intrigued about this country where there’s a flat “happy tax” to travel within this country that pays for the land travel & hotel costs.
- Thailand: Food. All food. Maybe some photos, too. But mostly the food.
- Vietnam: I specifically want to go to Vietnam with White On Rice Couple. Just going through Little Saigon in Los Angeles with them is a culinary experience. I can’t even begin to imagine what it’d be like to go to Vietnam with them.
- Buenos Aires: Food, drink, dancing…I want to absorb this city.
- New Zealand: This is going to sound crazy. I want to go Zorbing. Or maybe I just want to see someone go zorbing. I’m not sure. Plus I want to drink wine. Lots of it.
- Petra, Jordan: Really…do I have to tell you why I want to go to Petra?? I want to see this wonderfully intact sight that dates from around the 6th century BC. All the photos I’ve seen of this place have been stunning. I want to take some of my own [or at least try to].
- Maasai Mara, Kenya: I’d love to have the chance to see the Great Migration, sleep in those awesome luxury tents under the big blue sky. I want to see some gangly Giraffes walking across the wide open plain.
Have you ever been to any of these places? Any good recommendations on which of these places you’d vote for? Or what places I’m missing from my list?