Photo Friday: 10 Years Post 9/11

by jenjenk on September 9, 2011

Everyone knows someone who knew someone who was in one of the World Trade Center buildings or planes that day.  Someone who was supposed to be there, someone who missed their flight or someone who narrowly escaped the falling buildings. For me, it was my cousin’s husband, Robert Ideishi, who narrowly escaped the building before it completely crumpled to the ground. The dust chased at his heels as he obeyed the fire fighters and police offers who urgently instructed them to run from the building as fast they could, as far as they could. New Yorkers will forever have a place in my heart for helping all of those who ran from the WTC, as the residents of New York ran back into their homes to bring down bottles of waters, towels to wipe the dust off survivors, and literally, one person who offered the shirt off his back to Bobby.

I don’t know a person who can’t remember where they were or what they were doing the day it hit and the moment they found out.  I was in bed slowly waking up by turning on the news.  I bolted out of bed in horror as I watched the 2nd plane crash into the WTC.  I could not tear myself away from the television. I didn’t want to leave for work but after hearing that all flights were grounded, I knew I had to get to work to figure out a plan of action for any of our employees who were out on the road on business trips.

The photo I have at the top of this post was taken in October 2000, almost a year before September 11, 2001. My dad wanted to go up to the observation decks of the World Trade Center, but I didn’t want to wait in line, so he went on his own.  In my laziness, I believed that I would see it the next time I was in New York.  I keep this photo by my front door as a reminder not to put off things for “later”.

There are a lot of things that we put off because of time, money, or other priorities. I seem to let my own laziness and fears prevent me from doing the things that I know I should or could be accomplishing. It’s one thing to be practical. It’s a whole other thing to put up barriers to the things that I want need to accomplish. Don’t let yourself be bogged down with all the excuses for not going after what you need to achieve. Don’t be your own roadblock.

food librarian September 9, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Lovely post. I heard Robert Ideishi speak about his experience at the Torrance Public Library a few years ago. I’m still in disbelief and shock 10 years on. – mary

Cathy Sweeney September 9, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Lovely tribute. I visited the observation deck of the World Trade Center in 1991. I’ve been looking back at the photos we took from there — still hard to believe sometimes. You’re right to recognize the New Yorkers who rose to the occasion in helping others that day.

Shamis @ Gawaya Travel Blog September 10, 2011 at 6:37 am

Can’t believe it has been 10 years already! Lovely tribute and good inspiration to value what we have now without taking it for granted.

Nancy@acommunaltable September 10, 2011 at 7:25 pm

What a wonderful lesson to take from 9/11 Jen – I can’t think of a more fitting tribute to all of those who lost their lives that terrible day than keeping that photo by your door as a constant reminder to truly live each day.

Speaking of which, we definitely have to make plans to get together!!!

Scott - Quirky Travel Guy September 11, 2011 at 8:17 pm

I don’t know anybody who had anything to do with 9-11 but I like watching YouTube videos of the personal stories. Especially those on flight 93 and survival stories from the towers. I have to add the new memorials to my list of must-see attractions.

InsideJourneys September 11, 2011 at 11:34 pm

You’re so absolutely right: we should never be our own roadblocks. Good lesson.
I, too, have a photo of the Towers, somewhere. Thanks for the reminder.

Ryan September 12, 2011 at 12:31 am

I remember that day like it was yesterday, it is now etched into my mind forever.
Peace

Annie - FootTracker September 12, 2011 at 5:35 am

I remember that day I was walking into my high school, passing by the Spanish Classroom when their TV showed the first tower collapse. I did not know what it was about at first, I thought it was weird that a class would be full and watching TV before school started.

That day took my mom 2-3 hours to drive through the city to pick me up early from the school. All the telephone lines were congested and we could not call anyone for couple days.

I still don’t understand, why can anyone do this to each other.

Brooke @ Food Woolf September 12, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Jenny,
This is such a beautiful post and thought. You’re right. There is not time like RIGHT NOW to do the things we want/believe in. Hugs to you.

Lisa October 2, 2011 at 12:04 am

I love that you keep the photo by your door, as a reminder, not to put things off for later. I also really was touched by your about page, talking about your friend dying and how that inspired you to do what you really love. I can relate, after the loss of my parents I really focus on living the life I love.

Gladys | WanderingTandem.com October 19, 2011 at 12:25 am

i live a thousand miles from this place, but the 9/11 incident has affected me just like everybody else. we’ll keep on praying for all those who died, the heroes, and their families as well.