Almond Tea Cake

by jenjenk on March 8, 2011

Welcome to my new home. It’s taken me over a year to finally sit myself down and get it done.  It’s still a work in progress so please excuse the mess.  Let me know what you think and drop me a line if you’ve got any suggestions!

I’m turning 40 in a few short weeks. It almost makes me look around with wild eyed confusion and panic.  Almost because the months leading up to my 30th birthday, I became completely unhinged only to discover that this decade turned out to be fantastic.  All the people I’ve met, loved, and lost; places I’ve been, experienced and immersed myself in; hobbies I’ve taken up, checked off my bucket list, and all the new things I’ve learned – all in 10 short years.

I bring my age up because in the nearly 40 years that I’ve been alive, I’ve only known Tea Cakes to be a cake.  Much to my surprise, when I was doing an internet search, I discovered that most recipes for tea cakes are for the cookie variety.  The Tea Cakes I grew up with were of a rich brown sugary, moist treats baked in square muffin pans.  I used to love bringing home Tea Cakes from the bakery I worked at and eating the sweet cake with a cup of  bitter hot Japanese Green Tea…on the days that I could actually hold out that long.

I found a recipe for Grace Pastries’ [now out of business] Tea Cake but it just wasn’t what I was looking for.  I wanted something a little more complex in flavor – a little nuttier, so I substituted out some of the cake flour with Almond Flour.  The cake came out drier and denser than what I wanted so I scrapped that recipe and started on my little quest for my tea cake.  My co-workers are having a love-hate relationship with me right now.  Love, because they get baked goods every day; hate, because  it comes with strings attached – I quiz them about every little detail about the cake.  They won’t touch the stuff now [unless I’m not around to harass them].

After several trials, my colleagues begging me not to bring in anymore cake, I think I’ve finally found my recipe!  It’s a multi-step process consisting of the batter:
and the whipped egg whites:
to a nice fluffy, shiny whip:
and you gently fold the two together…
until you get a nice consistent and smooth batter…
Bake it for 35 – 40 minutes in an 8″ round pan [or you can even make muffins out of this!]. Let cool and pour on the glaze, cut a slice and serve with a nice cup of hot tea.

Jody March 8, 2011 at 6:15 am

Jenny,

This will be fun to watch! Hope you’re doing well.

Jody

jenjenk March 8, 2011 at 6:28 am

hey, jody! thanks for stopping by! hope all is well with you, as well!

Kristina March 8, 2011 at 6:47 am

Love it! But I’ve been a “Thesis” fan for a while. 😉 It’s very “clean”
Oh, and the tea cake looks lovely too!

Vivian March 8, 2011 at 6:50 am

Hello, I’ll take a slice of that please :-) Looks delicious Jen!

Sharon Miro March 8, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Lovely tea cake–you have inspired me to take up a quest I started long ago, and let go. I’ll keep you posted.

The site is clean, and well organized..I like it, and will look forward to visiting often.

jenjenk March 8, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Sharon – just saw your bread loaf!! how lovely & awesome!!! Need to try that!!

M I L E S March 9, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Much nicer site.

Jennifer March 15, 2011 at 12:09 am

I never realized tea cakes could be like this. I’ll have to try this recipe, next time I’m in a baking mood. Thanks! Oh, and your new site? FABULOUS.

jenjenk March 15, 2011 at 3:21 am

Oddly enough, i LOVE this recipe. You really need to give it a go!!

Nancy@acommunaltable March 17, 2011 at 3:44 am

Well, “40” is the new “30” – you are still just a baby!! (says someone who has “just” a few years on you!!))

This is exactly the kind of cake I think of when I hear “tea cake” and just the kind of cake I love!! Have bookmarked this one to try when the urge strikes (and I can be sure that I’ll actually be able to have some – living with 2 teenage boys has it’s challenges!!)

Absolutely LOVE the new site design.. and more importantly – truly thankful that your family is safe and sound!!!

jenjenk March 17, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Thanks!! That what I’ve been hearing!!!

I love this cake!!! It’s one of the few times where I actually had to go back for a 2nd slice!!! :) let me know how it comes out!!

Site design is a work in progress, but i guess that’s just the way it ALWAYS is, right?? and I am SO grateful that my family is safe!!

Grace A. March 23, 2011 at 5:02 am

Absolutely delicious! A little slice of heaven. I love the lightness and nuttiness of the cake. My family can’t get enough. I made this cake yesterday (very easy, straightforward recipe) and it’s gone today. My little one has already asked me to make more. THANKS, Jenny for this recipe…I’ll be baking this one for years to come! (5 STARS!)

jenjenk March 23, 2011 at 5:53 am

thank you, grace!!! SO glad you enjoyed it!!!

Arlene April 18, 2011 at 11:06 pm

This is my first visit to your site. And of course I went straight for the tea cake and can’t wait to try it! See you on the Travelblogroll soon. Nice job.

Lyndsey April 24, 2011 at 5:52 pm

The new space looks nice. The cake looks so good, would be nice with a hot cup of coffee! Yum!