LAUSD Coffee Cake

by jenjenk on November 30, 2009

A couple of months ago, I hosted a brunch for a few of my friends from high school [well, technically we’ve all known each other since elementary school].  One of my friends brought a coffee cake to the brunch.  All of us were slowly eating it because it tasted so darned familiar.
“I’ve had this before…” i said, “but I can’t figure out WHERE.”
Jana smiled at me and said, “think down memory lane…it’s a recipe from a long, long time ago.”
Judy shouted, “OH MY GOSH, this is the coffee cake recipe from junior high school!! I used to eat this all the time!”
When she said “all the time”, she wasn’t kidding – we all did.  It was our go-to snack/breakfast during recess.  You know…back in the day when calories didn’t mean anything because you could burn it off by simply breathing.
I’ve been craving this coffee cake so I thought I’d do a nice thing and make some for my co-workers [who sadly, can not burn off the calories from this coffee cake just by breathing…but don’t tell them I said that!].

Anonymous March 7, 2010 at 1:16 am

Deborah said….

Hummmm….. so glad to find the correct recipe for LAUSD's coffee cake. Haven't had any for a few years since the school stopped making it.

maile moore February 13, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Thanks a lot whoever posted this!

Queen Divalicious May 10, 2013 at 9:42 am

I mad this perfect the first time, however, it falls and becomes real dense, and I’m following the recipe exactly. Can anyone tell me what I’m doing wrong?

jenjenk May 10, 2013 at 9:57 am

How old is your baking powder & baking soda? that makes a difference!!

Christy Baker October 25, 2014 at 2:26 am

I remember that coffee cake from junior and High school. Looked forward to just the scent of it being baked.

Lolly June 13, 2015 at 11:03 am

I am coming to this posting 6 years late, but this coffee cake is the holy grail of coffee cake for me.

I am a product of the LAUSD edu-machine (Eagle Rock High School) and this coffee cake was about the only thing enjoyable about that time. I’ve been trying to replicate the streusel topping for ages. Looking at the streusel portion of the recipe I can see that I was pretty close. I have a simpler (no vinegar or powdered milk) coffee cake recipe, though, from “The Joy of Cooking” (1966 ed.).

So thoughtful of you to post this. Thank you.

jenjenk June 13, 2015 at 3:46 pm

for you & me both!!! i love this recipe!!! darn. i wasn’t thinking about it since i’ve been on a super health kick…but now…ouch! 😉

Denise August 8, 2016 at 5:22 pm

You would have thought this recipe was top secret they kept it under lock and key for a long time LOL

jenjenk August 9, 2016 at 9:13 am

i switched out the original OIL ingredient for butter. i just like things buttery but it still tastes the same…maybe a tad denser…

i think i may have found this on the LAUSD website!!!